Sunday, September 6, 2015

Off-Topic Sunday: Trimming Down Your TBR List


Welcome to Off-Topic Sunday, a tag that I'm using to post whatever is floating in my head that I want to chat about. For the most part, they'll be book-related but you may occasionally see some non-book-related posts/rants as well.

Deleting Books From Your TBR List


I don't know about you guys, but I get stressed out when I look at my TBR list on GoodReads. So many books. So little time. And whenever I do finish a book and go onto GR to mark it as read, my sense of joy and accomplishment often fizzles when I am reminded of how many books that are still left unread.

And frequenly, books have been left on my TBR for so long that my initial enthusiasm about reading the book have faded and I don't even remember why it's there anymore.

So every once in awhile, I go through my TBR list and delete the ones that I don't think I will get to. Books that no longer interest me. Books that I don't yet own and are fairly low priority on my to-buy list. Books belonging to series that I don't intend to finish anymore. You get my drift.

I'm not saying that I will never read those books in my lifetime. Some of the books are classics that although I have no interest in getting to in the foreseeable future (i.e. 1-2 years), there is a chance I will want to read them eventually. I just feel guilty every time I see them on my TBR shelf and I end up selecting another book before I just wasn't in the mood for that book. So off they go.

I'm also very particular about keeping upcoming releases on a separate shelf from my TBR shelf. It's my way of reminding myself I want to read these books but I can't read them just yet because they haven't been released. This way, I can keep them on a list without feeling the weight they would otherwise add onto the total number of books I haven't yet read.

Am I crazy?

Overall, I have approximately 25 to 30 books on my TBR shelf at the moment. I'm not sure if my way of keeping my TBR shelf slim is good. After all, there is always the possibility once I delete a title, I will forget about it, never get around to refinding it and end up missing out on a great book. But if my TBR shelf balloons to any number above, say 50ish, I just get too stressed and either go into a reading slump or go on a deleting rampage. I can't handle the pressure of too many unread books. I just can't.

What about you guys? How is the health of your TBR shelf and how do you keep it tamed?

1 comment:

  1. So I just went to Goodreads after reading your post to see how my TBR list looks. Your 25-30 books sounds wonderful! I have a whopping 171 books on my list. I don't even know what to say about that. I looked through the list, and I genuinely want to read all of them. I couldn't bring myself to delete any, even though it's getting beyond ridiculous. So, I'm just going to admit to my crazy book addiction and promise myself to one day read all those books :)

    Cheryl @ I Heart Fictional People

    ReplyDelete