Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Top Ten books from the last 3 years that I would consider as All Time Favourites

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I feel like my reading journey has its peaks and troughs. I was a prolific reader during my high school years. Then, when I hit university, my pleasure reading became non-existent and it wasn't until last year when I really picked up reading again as a serious hobby.

However, despite having only a couple of years of books to choose from for this week's meme, I did read a lot of books, most of which are amazing, so I still have plenty to choose from. So without further ado, here are my top ten all time favourites from recent years.


1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings is my all time favourite novel and it still amazes me that it's taken me this long to finally get around to reading its predecessor, The Hobbit. Whilst it's different in style from The Lord of the Rings, it is an absolutely amazing read and deserves its spot on my all time favourites shelf.

2. 1984 by George Orwell

I'm still struggling to find words to adequately describe how amazing this book is. Seriously. The society which George Orwell envisions is terrifying and frighteningly real. And the slogan "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength" sounds like an oxymoron yet it makes complete sense once you've finished the book. This is simply a masterpiece.

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

My favourite book from my 2014 reads. The Book Thief manages to pack so many different aspects of life and death, war and peace, friends and foes, into one book.

4. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

I was tempted to title this as "all Rainbow Rowell" books because I loved them all. But in the end, I chose my favourite of the lot, Attachment. But seriously, if you haven't read any Rainbow Rowell books yet, you really should. 

5. Vicious by V.E. Schwab

A tough choice between The Archived duology and Vicious - all of which are highlights of my reading in 2015 so far. But in the end, Vicious edged The Archived out by a small margin. It's just so different - darker, heavier, more twisted - from most YA novels I've read so far that I had to pick it.

6. The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan

I love Percy Jackson and the Olympians series but I ended up going with The Heroes of Olympus series because the combination of Greek and Roman just worked so well. Each book in the series is ladled with character development, and twists and turns, that I couldn't help but choose it instead.

7. The Legend trilogy by Marie Lu

One of my favourite dystopian trilogies that I read last year. Each book built on top of the previous one and when you think all is revealed, wait, Marie Lu has more aces up her sleeves. The ending is solid and satisfying and I highly recommend it to all who haven't yet read this series.

8. Precious Stone trilogy by Kerstin Gier

This is a quirky fun-to-read trilogy translated from German. While it does have its shortcomings, I loved it to bits when I first read it and it's still one of my most favourite light-hearted reads.

9. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

Despite being fantasy and mythological, The Raven Cycle is quite unlike anything else I've read lately. The storyline is amazingly complex and simple at the same time, the writing is beautiful and the characters - I love them to pieces. I'm trying to slowly pace myself and postpone reading Blue Lily, Lily Blue for as long as I can because the last book is not coming out until the end of the year. It's possibly one of my most anticipated releases of this year.

10. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

Speaking of most anticipated releases of 2015, the other release I'm really looking forward to would have to be Winter, the last book in the Lunar Chronicles. This series just gets better and better with each book and I just fall in love with all the characters more and more.

So yes, those are my recent additions to my all times favourites shelf. Which books did you pick?

9 comments:

  1. 1984 is definitely an intriguing book. I remember being shocked by it when I read it but now that I am older I really begin to see the true horror of the book.
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-ten-books-you-would-classify-as-all.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice! I liked Cinder and enjoyed Legend! Still need to read Ruby Red though! I have had it since I won it during its release! Too long!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yay, a The Book Thief pick! I also loved 1984 and Hobbit. And Vicious, Cinder, and quite a few of the rest are also on my TBR ... which is very long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do need to read Rainbow Rowell, she's everywhere! Here's my list.
    http://ebogie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1984 was firmly rooted as my favourite dystopia until I read The Handmaid's Tale. So now it's my second favourite dystopia, but has been a favourite of mine for close to a decade now! And I LOVE The Hobbit! LotR is great, but I don't think I could reread them. The Hobbit? I can't even tell you how many times I've read it. And the Kerstin Gier books are so funny! I don't know a whole lot of people who've read them (I think they took a long time to get translated here), but it's always nice finding people who have :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see The Hobbit and 1984 get some love--two of my personal favorites. Orwell made my list as well but for Animal Farm. Here's mine if interested: http://literaturefrenzy.blogspot.ca/2015/03/top-ten-tuesday-all-time-favorite-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. We must have very similar reading tastes because I’ve read almost all of these. The Book Thief made my list, too.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am glad to see these books on your list, because they are pretty much ALL books I own and need to read ASAP! The ones I have read, Cinder and Legend, were quite good! And I NEED Vicious, I keep hearing such amazing things! Great list :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great list. I've read about half of them and would definitely agree on those. The rest are on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete